UE4 Mixamo Animation Retargeting plugin is the best tool to integrate Mixamo assets in Unreal Engine 4. With few clicks, it allows you to use any Mixamo animation with any UE4 character, and use any UE4 animation with any Mixamo character.
Its core feature is a precise analytical method to compute the Retarget Base Pose needed by Unreal Engine 4 to manage Mixamo assets. The plugin automatically performs all the configurations needed by the Animation Retargeting (for Different Skeletons) system of Unreal Engine 4 (an engine feature that allows animations to be reused between characters that use different Skeleton assets).
The plugin implements several advanced functionalities to obtain the best results in an automated way:
- automatic configuration of all the setups required by the UE4 Retarget Manager;
- the Retarget Base Pose is computed analytically, obtaining an exact and perfect match of the skeletons used by UE4 for the retargeting of the animations;
- a Root Bone is added to the Mixamo skeleton (and all the related skeletal meshes and animations), allowing the use of Root Motion animations with it.;
- convert Mixamo animations to UE4 Root Motion Animations (NOTE: both the normal and in-place Mixamo animations are required, see the video tutorial).
Run the tool
Running the tool is very easy:
- ensure that the Unreal Engine 4 mannequin skeleton in your project has the “Humanoid” rig set;
- select a Mixamo skeleton asset and execute the “Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset” contextual action.
Then you are ready to retarget all the needed animations (select an animation, then Retarget Anim Assets > Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget).
See the video tutorial for detailed instructions and usage examples.
The tool also supports batch processing (selecting multiple Mixamo skeletons).