UE5 Mixamo Animation Retargeting plugin is the best tool to integrate Mixamo assets in Unreal Engine 5. With a few clicks, it allows you to use any Mixamo animation with any UE5 character, and use any UE5 animation with any Mixamo character.
Its core feature is a precise analytical method to compute the Retarget Pose needed by Unreal Engine 5 to manage Mixamo assets. The plugin automatically creates all the required assets and configurations needed by the UE5 IK Rig and IK Retargeter systems of Unreal Engine 5 (an engine feature that allows animations to be reused between characters using different Skeleton assets).
The plugin implements several advanced functionalities to obtain the best results in an automated way:
- automatic configuration of all the setups required by the UE5 IK Rig and IK Retargeter systems;
- the Retarget Pose is computed analytically, obtaining an exact and perfect match of the skeletons used by UE5 for the retargeting of the animations;
- a Root Bone is added to the Mixamo skeleton (and all the related skeletal meshes and animations), allowing the use of Root Motion animations with it;
- convert Mixamo animations to UE5 Root Motion Animations (NOTE: both the normal and in-place Mixamo animations are required, see the documentation).
How to run the tool
To run the tool:
- select a Mixamo skeleton asset and execute the “Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset” contextual action.
Then you are ready to retarget all the needed animations (open the created IK Retargeter asset and use the export option on the desired animations).
The plugin creates optimal Retarget Poses for all the Skeletal Meshes sharing the same Skeleton. If you set a specific Target Preview Mesh in the IK Retargeter editor, to obtain the best results ensure to select the corresponding Retarget Pose before retargeting the animations.
Note that some retargeted animation could require a final quick manual adjustment inside the Editor. Please check the documentation for details.
The tool supports also batch processing.
The plugin supports:
- any skeleton from Mixamo, including custom characters rigged with the Mixamo Auto-Rigger service;
- the classic UE4 Mannequin skeleton;
- the new UE5 Mannequin skeleton (Manny, Quinn);
- the MetaHuman skeleton.
Unreal Engine 4
If you're looking for a version of the plugin for Unreal Engine 4, please check Mixamo Animation Retargeting V1. This new version of the plugin is an evolution of Version 1, and it's specifically designed for Unreal Engine 5 and its new retargeting system.