Retarget a Mixamo animation to a MetaHuman character
Retargeting a Mixamo Animation to a MetaHuman Character is very simple, and uses the standard UE5 workflow. You can read more about the UE5 retargeting system here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/ik-rig-animation-retargeting-in-unreal-engine/.
The UE5 Mixamo Animation Retargeting plugin automatically performs all the configurations needed by UE5.
NOTE If you're interested in retargeting a Mixamo animation to the UE4/UE5 Mannequin, please check the dedicated tutorial.
This video tutorial shows the complete process on how to retarget a Mixamo animation to a MetaHuman character, including how to import a MetaHuman character and a Mixamo animation into your project.
For help retargeting a Mixamo animation to the UE4/UE5 Mannequin, please check the dedicated tutorial.
How to - step by step
To retarget a Mixamo animation to a MetaHuman character:
- if possible, we suggest to download the desired Mixamo animations skinned on the
passive_marker_manMixamo character (this setup usually produces better retargeting results);
- if not already done, run the plugin's Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset action on the Mixamo skeleton associated with the Mixamo animation (please read the detailed instructions if needed);
- when the plugin asks for the retarget source skeleton, ensure to select the skeleton named
metahuman_base_skel(usually located at
/MetaHumans/Common/Female/Medium/NormalWeight/Body/). This is the skeleton used by MetaHuman. If it's missing, ensure to import a valid MetaHuman character in your project.
- if the plugin fails reporting that the skeletal mesh
f_med_nrw_bodyis missing (usually located at
MetaHumans/Common/Female/Medium/NormalWeight/Body/, corresponding to the default Female - Medium - Normal Weight body), import into your project an additional preset MetaHuman character having this asset. This skeletal mesh is the one that must be used to produce optimal retargeted animations.
open the IK Retargeter asset named
RTG_<Mixamo-Skeleton>_metahuman_base_skelthat has been created by the plugin, saved in the same directory as the Mixamo skeleton. It's used to retarget animations from the Mixamo character to the target MetaHuman skeleton.
in the IK Retargeter editor, select an animation from the Asset Browser (double click on it to preview it in real-time);
- press the Export Selected Animations button;
- select the destination directory where saving the new retargeted animation;
- Done :) You'll find the new retargeted animation in your Content Browser.
The new retargeted animation can be used with your MetaHuman character playing it on the
Body Skeletal Mesh Component. For a quick preview:
- open the MetaHuman Blueprint actor class (for example
- select the Skeletal Mesh Component named
- set the Animation Mode property to Use Animation Asset;
- set the Anim to Play property to the retargeted animation.